Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Citrus Gardens and purple cows

I like wandering into the orchard for a few minutes when I need a break. Nothing seemed to be happening on the mangoes. The citrus trees however, had a few individual flowers (see left) and small fruits. What a surprise when I discovered clusters of flower buds on several branches this evening! Can hardly wait to see them bloom.
I wonder how many people noticed these flowers and saw the fruits hanging in the trees? How many of us city-kids would recognize the plants from which our food comes, or know whether it grows on a big tree or in a shrub lying on the ground? Who would ever have thought that one could technically be in Cairo or in the desert and could observe trees grow! Ok, ok, I won't burden you with more of my New Age marvels today but talk whatsaliveoncampus.
I must confess that I too needed to search in the trees until I found the fruit, to know which citrus fruit they are. The suspense must be killing you, I am sure. But regardless of the bio-instructor (that would be me) not being able to resist the temptation of NOT saying what something is - it is just plain beautiful.

The story of purple cows must wait until some other day.

1 comment:

Dieter Sommerfeld said...

Erstmalig lese ich etwas über Deine
vorbildlichen Aktivitäten für den Erhalt unserer bedrohten Natur.
Mach weiter so! Many greetings
Dieter Sommerfeld